The health and safety of our community and staff is our highest priority. To protect our community in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, all Yolo County Library branches are closed until further notice.
Yolo County Library is accepting returns of library materials and providing Curbside Pickup for lending of materials. Book drops will be open from 9 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday. Patwin and South Davis Montgomery book drops in Davis will remain closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I return my items?
Items may be returned in the book drops Monday through Friday from 9AM-6PM beginning June 8. Exceptions are kits (early learning, discovery, mental health and wellness), Read Around Yolo bags, and oversized items that don’t fit in the book drops. Please note: Bookdrops located at the Patwin Elementary and Montgomery Elementary in Davis remain CLOSED.
When are the book drops open?
Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
How can I return Discovery/Early Learning Kits and RAY Bags?
Please keep these items until the library opens to the public and you’re able to bring them inside. There will be no fines charged on any of these items when they are returned.
Will returns be quarantined?
Yes, all materials will be quarantined for at least 96 hours.
Why are items I returned still showing up on my account?
Items will be checked in after they have quarantined for at least 96 hours. If items are still appearing on your account after 7 days, please contact us.
Will I be fined if my item is overdue because it was in quarantine?
No. Items are checked in with a grace period that prevents overdue charges from being applied during the 96 hour quarantine period. Please wait 7 days to see your returned items reflected in your library account. Overdue charges on your LINK+ items will be waived. You will still be responsible for fines incurred before the COVID-19 crisis and for lost or damaged items.
Are you accepting donations?
No, we are not accepting donations at this time.
- Does the library still offer WiFi?
- Yes, our WiFi will still be turned on and accessible outside our branch locations 24/7. The network is named PUBLIC and no library card is required to connect. If you choose to access library WiFi, be sure to follow social distancing guidelines. Library staff will not be available to answer questions or troubleshoot WiFi.
- What library services can I access while library services are closed?
- Even when library locations are closed, Yolo County Library offers a wide variety of services you can access 24/7 with your library card. Online resources are currently available to all cardholders without regard to fees. Library staff will be supporting a centralized phone line, 530-666-8005, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Reading Materials
- OverDrive or Enki
- Digital magazines:Flipster
- The Yolo County Library offers free access to the New York Times
- Resources for Students, Research, Language Learning, and Reading Suggestions
- Reading suggestions, favorite authors, newsletters, and many ways to search for that next great read: Novelist
- Conduct research with Explora and other research databases
- Encyclopedia Britannica/Escolar is available on the Research page
- Career Online High School offers adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and career certificate online
- Virtual Programming and Social Media
- Yolo County Library Facebook has a daily schedule of online library programs. The posts will also include many with useful resources.
- Yolo County Library Instagram is included in the schedule of online library programs.
- Yolo County Pinterest includes book suggestions for young children 0 -5, kids’ books, kindness activities, books in a series, books you just can’t put down, teen reads, craft ideas, and more.
When will items be due?
- CDs, books, and magazines have a check out period of 6 weeks. Most items will automatically renew – however, if another patron has a hold on an item, it will not renew. The renewal period is 21 days. Find out more about automatic renewal here. Before the COVID-19 pandemic these items had a 3-week check out period.
What about LINK+ ?
- While LINK+ materials are unable to be automatically renewed or have their due dates extended, no late fees will be charged.
- You can return LINK+ items to any Yolo County Library bookdrop. You do not need a receipt. To confirm that the library has received the item, you may check your account online or call the central library phone.
- LINK+ services will resume on August 3rd.
Are ebook due dates affected by the library closure?
- No, ebook due dates are not impacted by library closures.
Is the Books by Mail program still operating?
- Yes, Yolo County Library has re-started Books by Mail. This service is for people who cannot physically get to a library branch.
Can Read Around Yolo (R.A.Y.) bags be picked up during the library closure?
- No. These book club bags are not available while library buildings are closed.
What if I don’t have a library card?
- No library card? No problem! Yolo County residents can register for a Yolo County Library temporary eCard to access several digital services instantly at https://web-iii.yolocounty.org/selfreg. Alternatively, OverDrive also allows Yolo County residents to register for a temporary card and borrow digital items using a mobile phone number. If you got a library card online, please call (530) 666-8005 Monday – Friday between 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. to arrange to get a physical library card.
- Online cards will not expire during this closure period.
- If your library card is about to expire or has expired, you will still be able to use all library services.
I still have a question about my account. Is there anyone who can help me?
- Library staff will be supporting a centralized phone line, 530-666-8005, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. to assist patrons with their accounts and to access digital materials.
Can volunteers provide service at the library during the closure?
Will Yolo Reads tutoring be continuing during the library closure?
- Yolo Reads tutoring will be done online or by phone while library locations are closed.